George Fernandes Dies of Alzheimer’s: Everything you Must know about the Disease
George Fernandes, the former union defence minister, died at 88 in Delhi on Tuesday. He was suffering from a prolonged illness, Alzheimer’s disease. Recently, he contracted swine flu. He was fighting with Alzheimer’s disease from a very long time. Alzheimer’s disease is a serious mental condition in which a person experiences problems with memory, thinking and behaviour. Here is all you need to know about the disease and what causes it.
What is Alzheimer’s disease?
Alzheimer’s disease is the leading cause of mental decline among the elderly and it shortens people’s lifespans. According to the Alzheimer’s society, the disease cannot be the sole reason for someone’s death. People die from complications from the disease, such as blood clots and infections. A person suffering from this disease experiences major memory loss and some people even lose the ability to move or eat by themselves.
What are the Symptoms?
- Forget about conversations, appointments or events
- Misplace personal belongings
- Forget names of family members and friends
- Lose the ability to find the right words to identify objects and express thoughts
- Experience difficulty in interpreting things in their surroundings and may get lost in familiar places
- Inability to concentrate
- Making everyday judgment and decisions becomes increasingly difficult
- Difficulty in performing day-to-day activities such as brushing, bathing, etc.
- Suffer from depression or anxiety
- Frequent mood swings
- Increased stubbornness
- Disrupted sleep and sleeping habits
- Wandering away from home
What are the Causes?
- Genetics: People who have a family history of the disease are more at risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Down Syndrome: the reason behind this unclear but those who suffer from down syndrome are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s.
- Age: Your risk of Alzheimer’s goes up as you get older. People over the age of 65 are at a higher risk of developing the disease.
This Article First Published on www.onlymyhealth.com